This collection of quotes is being compiled by Lo Snöfall

13 May 2012

My FBfriend Jane Brooks posted a link http://www.autismcandles.com/products.html.
From the list of candle scents available I deducted that I would prefer that of Clove.
Though I did not really know what clove was. I thought of clover.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clove

 Several years ago I made this Christmas pomander that still hangs in the open doorway between our kitchen and our library.
Now I was inspired to unhook it and clean it from dust with a brush and cold water.
I started to smell strongly of Christmas (that is to say cloves)

http://www.schooloftheseasons.com/goldenapples.html 
By the 17th and 18th century
the decorated orange stuck with cloves
was often mentioned as a Christmas or New Year’s custom.
In his Christmas masque, Ben Jonson wrote,
“He has an Orange and rosemary,
but not a clove to stick in it.”
(One Yule, the Saint Nicholas 
who appeared at the Santa Lucia party 
presented by Helen Farias and James Carrell 
handed out gilded walnuts 
which could be hung from the tree 
to make wishes come true. 
 Diana Carey and Judy Large suggest placing small items 
(a charm, a shell or a few little sweets) 
inside walnut shells, then gluing them back together 
and gilding them. 
They can be presented in a bowl of moss 
on the Christmas table, 
hung from the tree or put on a ring of greenery 
 so each child can open one 
during each of the Twelve Days of Christmas.)
And then I remembered my recent remembrance of this Crimson and Clover.
Here I attempted to follow and secure evidence of the trail of my zigzagging focus this morning. It is one of countless clues that I am convinced will lead to vital insights into our case.

Blog Archive